The Breadcrumbs widget will appear here on the published site.
Are you a lady or man of letters?
By Starling Root
You know you're a member of the literati if...
• you tried to eat a book as a child because you thought you could absorb the words forever that way.
• you list “quibbling over diction, syntax, and tone” as one of your hobbies on OkCupid.com.
• you have resorted to eating ramen for days or even weeks just to save up for the books you want.
• you use literary characters and conflicts as examples in everyday conversation.
• you actually seek out flyers announcing poetry readings.
• you didn't think twice about writing for your campus publication. What else were you going to do—play rugby?
• your pet's name comes from a novel or poem, or is a clever play on words.
• you ever gave a book to a hobo instead of food.
• any of your sexual fantasies have involved books. You know what we mean: Book boners. Oh, baby!
• the most likely place your lost keys are hiding is under a pile of books.