The Breadcrumbs widget will appear here on the published site.
Historic Warrenton: What to See
Photographs by Brenden Rijke
"John Marshall" - Chief Justice of the United States John Marshall (1755 - 1835), who served as Justice between the years of 1801 and 1835. His monument stands in front of the old courthouse in Old Town Warrenton as he was a Germantown resident (a small town in Fauquier County, VA now known as Midland).
"John Singleton Mosby" - a monument in remembrance of cavalry battalion commander John S. Mosby (1833 - 1916). His tribute stands in Old Town Warrenton as he was an honored veteran and local Warrenton lawyer.
"Fauquier Historical Society" - a sign posted outside the Old Jail Museum (the home of The Fauquier Historical Society) in Old Town Warrenton. The Society was founded in 1964 and has a rich history in the town.
"Courthouse" - There has been a total of seven courthouses in Warrenton, the first dating back to 1790 at the time of the Revolution. However, the most recent courthouse at the present site opened in 1974. This past March, Clint Eastwood filmed his most recent film "J. Edgar" at the courthouse.
"Baptist Church" - In Old Town Warrenton, this Baptist church dates back from the antebellum period and acted as a hospital during the Civil War for the Union army.
"St. John's Catholic Church" - Established in 1874, St. John's Catholic Church in Warrenton served as the Union army as a hospital during the Civil War.
"Mecca" - Constructed in 1859 by Rice W. Payne, the mansion served as headquarters for Union Civil War generals (e.g. Irvin McDowell, Ewin Sumner, and David Russel). Also, the building was used as a hospital during the First and Second Battles of Manassas.
"Fauquier Institute" - The Fauquier Institute in Old Town Warrenton served as a school which offered primary, secondary, and collegiate courses for young women between the years of 1859 and 1925.
"Marr House" - Built in 1830, the Marr House in Old Town Warrenton housed most prominently Captain John Quincy Marr (former mayor of Warrenton).
"Warrenton Middle School" - Originally, Warrenton Middle School (opened in 1936) was the only high school in Fauquier County. Up until 1963, it was a Caucasian high school as a result of the county's racial segregation policy. Fauquier County Public Schools did not integrate until 1969. In comparison - vintage photograph from the school's website.
"Old Jail" - During the Civil War, Fauquier County's old jail housed both Union and Confederate soldiers (most famously, Frank Rockefeller - the brother of John D. Rockefeller). Up until 1966, the jail served as the Fauquier's prison. Today it serves as a museum.