Do you want to write for Quail Bell Magazine, but need a little kick in the tail feathers? We've compiled a list of friendly prompts and deadlines to encourage you to start clacking away at your keyboard. We're always in search of your real-life essays for The Real, especially if you can touch upon one of our signature themes: the imaginary, the nostalgic, and the otherworldly. Don't feel obligated to answer the prompt too literally; interpret the question in whichever way feels most natural. You may send us your piece as far in advance of the deadline as you wish. We love early birds!Before sending us your piece, please review our submission guidelines. (We reserve the right to reject any piece that does not follow our guidelines, but don't make us do that.)Questions? Shoot us an email.
Feathery Hugs, The Quail Bell Crew
•What's the first thing you remember making? A Barbie dress? A mud pie? A comic? Tell us how you came to make it and why you think you still remember it. Has it inspired other things you've made since then? Deadline: April 30, 2014.
• Who is your favorite artist or writer in history? When did you discover this person's work and why does it resonate with you? Has it changed the way you think, live, or create? Deadline: May 7, 2014.
• When was a time you witnessed oppression and sought to change it? When was a time you witnessed oppression and did nothing? Deadline: May 10, 2014.
• When has a fashion icon disappointed you? Deadline: May 14, 2014.
• What is the most bizarre thing you've ever read? Deadline: May 15, 2014.
• How did you grow out of your imaginary friend? Deadline: May 20, 2014.
• When was a time someone silenced you? Did you have a chance to speak up later on? Deadline: May 21, 2014.
• What the food most loaded with memories for you? Do you know how to make it? Would you share the recipe? Deadline: May 25, 2014.
• What was something you were taught to hate about yourself growing up? Deadline: May 28, 2014.
• How have the places you've lived changed you?Deadline: June 1, 2014.